Erica Hopper was born in Kansas City, Missouri, studied graphic and industrial design at San Diego State University, and continued her art education at the University of The Americas in Pueblo, Mexico. During the 70’s and 80’s she was a successful illustrator with many published works in national periodicals.
Today Hopper concentrates on oil media and textile design. It is clear one influences the other by the rhythm and texture found in her paintings. Hopper’s paintings are compelling and abstractly interpretive. She creates delicately modulated surfaces with subtle imagery. Her color use is strong, yet positioned to create a quiet contemplation and colorful vivaciousness. While she develops figurative images with color washes and markings that are clearly defined, the edges leave an openness for imaginative completion.
“I illustrate my media into fragments of shape symbolizing ideas of landscape figurative and nature’s essentials.” says the artist.
Hopper’s extensive travels have built her admiration and respect for ethnic origin and wildlife that have become a constant in her compositions. This consciousness along with imagination comes together on canvas to tell a story. Hopper says her paintings are “metaphorical interpretations of nature and the stuff of dreams in which the viewer can envision the complete scene as the imagination takes over.” Erica Hopper’s work is in both private and corporate collections throughout the United States, and is published nationally.
- 1973-1975 San Diego University, CA 1972 San Diego State University, CA
- 1968-1971 University of the Americas, Pueblo, Mexico Exhibitions
- 2004 New York Art Expo, NY
- 2002 A Gallery, Palm Desert, CA 2001 Solo Exhibit, A Gallery, Palm Desert, CA
- 1998 Private Exhibition, Rancho Mirage, CA
- 1993 Private Exhibition, Imperial Bank, Los Angeles, CA
- 1989 Coda Gallery, Palm Desert, CA