Joe Fidia was born in Port Colborne, Ontario. His paintings have been featured in solo and group exhibitions in Victoria and Ottawa. Joe and his wife have lived in Prince Edward Island and British Columbia and now make their home in Ottawa.
“My paintings are recollections of the landscapes I experienced while living on both the east and west coasts of Canada. Although the light and landforms of the paintings differ, they all express a quietness. I begin to paint from a general sketch and then respond to the painting as it reveals itself. The image develops from a rough underpainting which shows the gesture and form I would like to express. I apply layers of acrylic paint using large brushes, rags and sponges. Then the paintings are scraped and scrubbed to reveal the different layers of colour beneath. Lately my paintings have focused more on colour than form as I have realized that distinct form is not always necessary to express the idea of the painting.”
- Victoria College of Arts, Selected Courses Victoria, British Columbia
- University of Sydney Graduate Diploma of Sydney, Australia
- Brock University, Bachelor of Arts St. Catherine’s, Ontario.
- 2008 The Shape of Air Dale Smith Gallery
- 2006 Arrivals and Departures Dale Smith Gallery
- 2005 Seeing Sky Dale Smith Gallery SELECTED GROUP SHOWS
- 2008 U8 Sopa Fine Art, Kelowna, BC 2008 New Year, New Work Dale Smith Gallery
- 2007 December Dale Smith Gallery
- 2007 McMichael Art Sale McMichael Gallery, Kleinburg ON
- 2007 Fever Dale Smith Gallery
- 2007 Apertura Gallery 1313, Toronto ON
- 2007 New Year, New Work Dale Smith Gallery
- 2006 Gallery 2 and 3 Ottawa Art Gallery 2006 Plein Air Canada Ottawa