Richard Herman (born 1965) is a self taught artist who began experimenting with oil painting in his early teens. Having a strong interest in western art history, he initially learned his craft by studying the paintings of the northern European Renaissance.
Seeking to recreate the crisp form and transparent atmosphere seen in panels by artists such as Jan Van Eyck and Rogier Van Der Wyden, he worked out the basic technique of that period, and then applied it to his own themes.
This technique involved laying successive layers of tinted glaze over high contrast monochrome under painting. Compositions were based on detailed drawings made from a combination of direct observation and memory.
After working with figure based allegorical scenes in this way for several years, the landscape elements in his paintings came forward as the main subject of his work. In his late twenties Richard underwent a shift in perspective that brought into focus the dynamic uncertainty of the world around him.
Feeling impatient with his medium and wanting to depict this emerging perception, he dispensed with drawing and carefully arranged compositions. Using a spontaneous wet-on-wet approach that drew inspiration from the Chinese and Japanese traditions of painting and calligraphy, he explored a flowing environment of clouds, geology, and watercourses.
His cloud series became a signature motif during this period. Richard’s work over the last decade brings together the lessons of both earlier periods into what has become his mature landscape style. He is now exploring the idea and history of the “Sublime Landscape”, and is once again introducing figures and narrative into some paintings.
- 2007 The Agnes Bugera Gallery, Edmonton
- 2007 “Floating World” Parts Gallery Toronto Ont.
- 2007 “The New Sublime”, Art Interiors Toronto Ont.
- 2006 “The Promised Land”, Agnes Bugera Gallery, Edmonton Alberta 2005 “New Works”, Art Interiors, Toronto Ont.
- 2004 “Landscapes from Memory”, Parts Gallery, Toronto Ont.
- 2002 “New Landscapes and Skyscapes”, Art Interiors, Toronto Ont.
- 1996 “Calm and Clear”, 80 Spadina, Toronto Ont.
- 2008 “Lions and Lambs” Parts Gallery, Toronto
- 2008 “Beauty”, The Weiss Gallery, Calgary Alberta
- 2007 “Touching Reality”, The Elliot Louis Gallery, Vancouver B.C.
- 2005 “Three Visions of Land and Sky”, Agnes Bugera Gallery, Edmonton Alberta
- 2003 “Natural Tendencies”, Holland & Holland, New York, NY
- 1997 “Blue Space”, 80 Spadina, Toronto Ont.
- 1996 Metro Convention Center Visitor’s Assoc. Queens Quay Terminal, Toronto Ont.
- 1988 International Miniature Show Del Bello Gallery, Toronto Ont.