Christina Sorace MacKinnon
See ‘Artist Statement’
I am an artist based in Flemington, New Jersey. When my youngest son began
school full-time, I began creating abstract paintings out of my home studio.
Passionately, I sought inspiration and knowledge from art classes I had taken
intermittently during those all-encompassing mothering years, while using Instagram
as my platform to engage with other artists all over the world. Establishing myself as
a working artist, I have been painting prolifically since 2013 and have developed an
expansive inventory of work.
I paint abstract works that probe the dynamics of line, color, mark-making,
and fluctuation of process as a derivative of how I navigate my footing as a woman
and a mother in our ever changing universe.
Reflective and present, I surrender to the dialogue of process as I begin to
develop a surface and make decisions. In many of my paintings, I create fields of
multi-layered congestion, which are heavily saturated, integrated sections of the
canvas filled with marks, lines, directional patterns and bold, saturated color
combinations. As I paint, I make connections between discord and harmony. I use
this method and the interplay of acrylic, spray paint, paint pens and other mediums
as a metaphor for the paradoxical ways life unfolds.
I find that exploring different approaches to painting widens the space for
new dialogues to emerge, emulating real-life examples of what we are open to and
what we refuse to see. For this reason, I work in series and consider these groupings of
paintings to be unique visual abstract stories of the human experience through
diverse lenses and perspectives. By informing the work with ideas frayed with such
complexities as misperceptions, stigmas and patriarchal narratives, I navigate my way
through the messiness, the struggle, until I reach a sense of peace and resolve within
myself and the work.
- 2019 – Members Exhibition, Hunterdon Art Museum, Clinton, NJ
- 2019 – “A Collection of Lines”, Brick and Mortar Gallery, Easton, PA
- 2019 – “Conversations”, Art Times Two – the gallery at Princeton Brain & Spine, Princeton, NJ
- 2019 – “THAT”, Hunterdon Art Museum, Clinton, NJ
- 2018 – Solo Exhibition, Whittemore CCC, Tewksbury, NJ
- 2018 – “Does It Match the Couch?”, Monmouth Museum, Monmouth, NJ 2018 “E-Z 2 Steal”, Prallsville Mill, Stockton, NJ
- 2017 – “Continuations”, Raritan Valley Community College, Branchburg, NJ 2017 C.U.T. Artisan Hair Design Gallery, Flemington,
- 2016 – MAD Gallery, Soho, NYC
- 2015 – “If You Only Knew”, Solo Exhibition, Factory Fuel, Flemington, NJ 2014, “Naked In New Hope”, Sidetracks Gallery, New Hope, PA
- 2014 – The Studio, New Hope, PA
- 2019 – ImagiNews, August Issue
- 2018 – Carenly Curated Blog
- 2017 – Artists of Social Media by Thirty5Eleven, First Edition 2017 NJ Arts Maven
- 2015 – Artsy Shark